DarleneMarshall

Darlene Marshall, author

I write award-winning historical romance about pirates, privateers, smugglers and the occasional possum.

Borrowed Light - Carla Kelly I'm a big Carla Kelly fan, and enjoyed her Western stories as well as her Regency novels. This book is a new direction for the author, an LDS inspirational romance. As such, it's likely to be most appreciated by readers interested in LDS life or teachings. My complaint was not about the religious aspect, but about the characters. The hero needed some flaws (and the obvious one of him being a Gentile only works with a select portion of readers), and the heroine seemed awfully young for a 27 year old who'd spent time studying in Boston away from her family and community in Utah.However, the setting is well done--Salt Lake City and Wyoming in the early 20 C.--and the supporting characters stand out. The religious message is gently incorporated into the story and makes sense for the characters and setting. I'm not sure if I will read more inspirationals from Ms. Kelly, but I wish her well with her new direction.